Saturday, July 4, 2009

Than and I have joined the ranks...

.....of drunken rednecks...except we weren't drunk of course. In my defense, I tried to stop him, but there is no stopping Than once he gets his mind set on something.

Now let me tell you this. Together, we have cut down several trees in our yard. It's probably not the smartest thing to do, you know, cut down huge oak trees, but we've done it successfully. I've held a rope and pulled them over before.

So tonight we decided to take down three little ones right in the front. We need some firewood, so I thought, what the heck. The first one came down with no problem. We cut it up and hauled the logs to the backyard. Then I started to really look at the second one. It was leaning at about a 30 to 35 degree angle toward the road (and power lines , yay for safety on our part). I mentioned this to Than about three times, but he decided he could do it.

He could not. After a few minutes of trying desperately to get it to fall the way we wanted, it fell on the power lines and knocked out power to our house and several around us. We did get it off the lines pretty fast though and got it to fall to the side. We got the power company out after about a half hour or so. They asked Than if he'd cut the tree. He said yes. They said our power should be back on in a few minutes. They were right.

I'm calling Monday to see what kind of bill they will be sending.
I'm not sure Than learned his lesson.
Me: "So I guess we won't be cutting down that last tree."
Than:"Naw, I can do it, no problem."
Yippee Skippee am I excited for that one.

I know you've been laughing. I'm not offended. I'll laugh about it myself after the bill is paid...hopefully.

2 comments:

Jay said...

The only thing that would make that seem more like a redneck story is if you videotaped the incident and laughed as it was happening. When you have a tree that is leaning like that, the only way to really get it to not fall on those lines it to climb it and cut sections off till it is not tall enough to reach the lines when it falls. Though that is pretty dangerous if you don't have prectice so I would probably have done what you did.

Sook said...

Oh Than.... ha ha how funny!